Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Math Puzzles

So I've been missing academia lately. I've discovered something interesting, a set of values for which x^x = y^y. I wonder how many there are.

I also came across some old favorites, "proofs" that clearly aren't true, but seem like they work. For a fun puzzle, can you find the "mistake" in each one that makes the fake-proof work?

          a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2-b^2 = ab-b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
a+b = b
2b = b
2 = 1


x = (Pi+3)/2
2x = Pi+3
2x(Pi-3) = (Pi+3)(Pi-3)
2Pix-6x = Pi^2-9
9-6x = Pi^2-2Pix
9-6x+x^2 = Pi^2-2Pix+x^2
(3-x)^2 = (Pi-x)^2
3-x = Pi-x
Pi = 3


-1 = -1
-1/1 = -1/1
-1/1 = 1/-1
sqrt(-1/1) = sqrt(1/-1)
i/1 = 1/i
i = 1/i
i * i = 1
-1 = 1

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want me to give all of them?

The first is you're dividing by zero in line four. a=b => (a-b) = 0.

PiFry said...

Go ahead. And that's the second one if you count finding a set of values for which x^x = y^y and x =/= y. That one's of my own making, though. I found one, I can't figure out if there are any others.

Anonymous said...

Which solution to x^x = y^y did you find besides x=0, y=1 (or vice versa)? It gives me the feeling that the solution to Fermat's Last Theorem is going to come into play for solving that.

For the second proof, you ignored the fact that a square root has both a positive and a negative root. Looking at the LHS, you chose the positive root of (3-x)^2. If you had chosen the negative root, the equality would be intact.

For the third proof, you violated the convention that the square root operation can be distributed across a quotient if and only if both the numerator and denominator are real and positive.

I haven't done this stuff in a long time!

-A

PiFry said...

I'm not counting 0 and 1 as a pair for which x^x = y^y, because 0^0 really isn't 1. Sometimes we use it as such because it fits a pattern or is convenient, but it's really undefined. In fact, a more simplistic proof of 0=1 is:
n^0 = 0
0^n = 1
n = 0
0^0 = 0^0
0 = 1

Hey, A, who are you? Say hi sometime (this blog has a private e-mail address you can use).

Anonymous said...

So what was your solution for x and y?

Sent you an email to say hi and give you a better idea of who I am.

-A