Monday, September 08, 2008

New poll! On the right of the blog (RSS readers, you'll have to visit me at http://pifry.blogspot.com to see it). I'm just curious to see if my readers need to be talked into anything...call it market research.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a little experiment. First asking readers for whom they'll vote. Then asking readers to PREDICT the winner of the election. Then see how closely the poll results compare to each other and to the actual results. Would an election held among my readers result in the same president (if so, we're wasting a lot of money on the electoral college...)? Can my readers predict better than official polls? Do people predict based on desires and not good guesswork? Do peoples' desires unknowingly but significantly influence their guesses? Too bad I'm not a PhD with an army of grad students I could make explore these issues. That said, I think my readers are smarter than grad students any day (especially grad students in MBA and English Lit programs).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the students in the MBA programs! Us doctoral students have to deal with them all the time...Game Theory is for ::real:: women (and men).

-A

PiFry said...

Wow. I didn't even know I had any doctoral students as readers. I should write smarter.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, you also have a former doctoral student as a reader :)