Friday, March 21, 2008

My Random Bracket

My randomly generated (though slightly weighted probabilities based on seeds) March Madness Bracket is tied for 6th in my Facebook pool of 28 people. Not too shabby. The only conscious decision I made was to have UNC win it all, because in the 10 minutes of college basketball I watched all season, they looked pretty good.

I wonder if March Madness is like stock-picking...especially if you weight it by seeds...for example, if you set up a series of big boards with each matchup on them (and made better-seeded teams larger to increase the probability of them being hit by...well, you'll see in a minute), and then showed the to monkeys who would in turn hurl feces at them...and then generated the bracket based on what the monkeys hit...could you outperform most fans? Monkeys picking stocks can outperform most investors.

Given how little I know about basketball, my slightly weighted random bracket is more or less that (except it smells better). So far so good.

No comments: