Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Easter Night

3 billion people live on less than two dollars a day. If you could get an accurate count of the number of people who never have and never will set foot in a school, and then said that number out loud, you'd be saying "hundred million" somewhere in there. If you did the same for women (by which I include those as young as 13) who are being forced to work as prostitutes within the boarders of the United States of America, your lips would still have to form the words "hundred thousand." And the majority of them face threats and the possibility of death and beatings on a daily basis. We have schools in such disrepair that sewage backs up into classrooms through broken or exploded pipes. The casualties of wars and armed conflicts around the world includes tens of thousands of children, every day. In certain parts of Africa, the women are sent to get water instead of men, because the women will be raped and allowed to return to their families-in-hiding with the life-saving water afterwards, while the men will just be murdered (imagine a family meeting where you have to decide if it will be your wife, your sister, your mother, or your daughter).

Tonight I'm going to a Flyers game. I'll sit in a luxury suite, eat delicious food, and even have an HDTV in the suite's private bathroom so I don't have to miss a minute of the game. On my way back I'll pass several people sleeping on top of steam vents in the sidewalk to keep warm.

And if I'm sad for any part of tonight, it won't be because of anything I've mentioned yet, but for my own selfish reasons, my own losses which have sent me plummeting to only being better off than 98 or 99% of the world.

And I'm considered to be reasonably good and selfless for a human being.

3 comments:

Vik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zombie Blogger said...

Good thoughts.

But where is the post on the awesome weekend with various awesome people.....awesome.

Just sayin- I have a big ego :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.