Sunday, March 09, 2008

My Baller

I'm not usually one to adopt the lingo of Lord Henry, but this guy--brought to my attention by the First Tiger--defies all description except for "baller." And I'm not even sure what "baller" means.

Buster Martin is poised to become the world's oldest marathon runner and the tender age of 101. In addition to holding world records for oldest person to run a 5k and a 10k, he recently became the oldest person to complete a half-marathon--and he did it in just over 5 hours. For starters, I'm pretty sure that's about as well as I would do. And even more impressively, he would have finished sooner but he stopped halfway through for a beer and a cigarette. That's right, Buster is a heavy drinker and smoker. He also was in a rock band whose members had a combined age of over 3,000, and he's fathered 17 (yes, seventeen) children. He likes kids, and wishes he had more.

Speaking of his love for kids, he's running for charity, supporting families with children who have life-threatening diseases.

How else CAN one describe a guy like that? Baller.

No comments: