Saturday, February 09, 2008

My New Quarter

I was walking to Cynara's last night, and a girl/woman (don't know what to call people about my age anymore) dropped some change about 7 meters ahead of me. At first I didn't think anything of it--it's not usually worth bending over for change--but then I saw it was a quarter. A precious activator of laundry machines lying right there in front of me. I picked it up.

Then I felt guilty, because, like Space Invaders, people who drop quarters need to do laundry too. So I accelerated my walking pace and proferred the coin, saying, "I think you dropped this."

"Oh..." replied the girl/woman, "Yeah...I did that on purpose. I don't like change so I let other people have it. You can keep it if you want."

This caught me off guard. After reiterating my offer to return to her what I saw as a not-insignificant fraction of a load of laundry or vending machine purchase, all I was left able to say was "Well...thank you. You're a very nice stranger."

People confuse me, but at least this time it was a pleasant experience. I'm going to use that quarter to do my laundry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I think our laundry is free. But I had my ex-gf do mine last time, so I don't really know.