Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Harrisburg Halloween?

So apparently in Harrisburg they do Halloween on the Thursday before actual Halloween. All the kids are going trick-or-treating on Thursday, the 30th. This just seems wrong. I don't mean to be a snob, but I think if I tried just a little, I could become personally offended by this quaint central Pennsylvanian custom. My question is: if you're going to standardize it to a day, why not standardize it on a non-school night?

Someone told me the rationale is that on Fridays, Saturdays, and Halloween, there are too many drunks out. I think anyone spending more than a few days in Harrisburg can debunk that. It's not exactly a party town. You need a car to get anywhere except in the immediate downtown area, and that area is dead at night. You don't exactly have drunken masses out walking, or rather, stumbling, the streets at night. I wonder how this got started, and why it persists. Luckily for me, I'll be in Philly for MY holiday tradition of eating authentic Szechuan cuisine with at least one of my families.

No comments: