Sunday, December 10, 2006

My Constraint

In February, Cynara has a gymnastics meet. I am, of course, planning to attend, but I have a bit of quandary regarding my...various demonstrations of support and encouragement. I'm a huge fan of Cynara, but I'm not used to being a gymnastics fan. At heart, I am an Eagles fan. So I'm trying to figure out how to support my gymnast of choice in an appropriate but exuberant manner. So far, I've come up with the following ideas which she has forbidden:
-Chanting
-Singing
-Bad Celebration Dancing
-Good Celebration Dancing (assuming I could learn how)
-Bringing her friends and spelling her name out across our chests, shirted or otherwise
-Signage of any size
-The Wave
-Face painting (this one was not a surprise)
-Yelling out letters that spell her name or her team name really loudly after something good happens (a la E - A - G -...)
-Yelling "sucks" when they announce someone else's name
-Booing. Period.
-The public rendition of a fight song I may or may not have begun composing
-Trying to get the crowd involved in anything, including, but by no means limited to, any of the above
And most disappointingly:
-Foam Fingers

What does that leave me? Golf-clapping? The occasional "woo" for an especially impressive feat? Maybe if I'm lucky I can shout "Go Cynara!" or "Yay!"

It seems like such a waste. She's going to have a hardcore Eagles fan in the stands, and receive none of the benefits that come with having such a die hard fan. As it stands now, I'll have to funnel all of my fan energy into normal clapping (I'm expecting to hurt my hands at this thing; I should probably bring some skincare products in case it goes into overtime...). But until then, I can funnel my energy into coming up with new ways to express fervent and unconditional support for her success and the decimation of her...rivals? opponents? enemies?...whatever they're called in gymnastics. I'd be grateful for any suggestions (or tales of experience as an actual gymnastics spectator) left in the comments.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Hahaha!
Glad to see you're blogging so often now. Unfortunately I don't know how to be a gymnastics spectator. But if everyone is around during break, maybe you'd like to introduce me to "Cynara" and I could introduce you to "Boludo" in one grand bout of hanging out?

Anonymous said...

The solution to this lack of experience is obvious -- I need to subject you to more televised gymnastics! That way you will know what is okay.
You may yell and cheer, but I would positively die of embarrasment if you and my friends painted my name on yourselves.
On a more serious note, remember that distracting gymnasts at the wrong time can be rather more fatal than distracting a football player. Also, the chances of individuals being noticed at a small meet is much higher.