Thursday, November 08, 2007

My New Mayor

Michael Nutter, the Mayor-elect of Philadelphia, has one of the toughest jobs in the world ahead of him. He'll soon be steering the good ship Philadelphia, now facing a wave of violence, into the dark, murky waters of financial hardship, along with other obtuse seafaring metaphors. But despite an incompetent and corrupt predecessor, this isn't shaping up to be a Titanic story. There's no one I'd rather have captaining this cruise-liner upon which I find myself than the thoughtful local statesman (cityman?) behind my beloved Philadelphia smoking ban. And as captain, he's not just protecting his passengers: he's asking for their help.

Extending my streak of cliches, just as people are asked to answer calls of heroism, Michael Nutter is dialing up the best and brightest of our great city, and the CallerID says "Civic Duty." He's asking businesses to lend employees to the city--from top executives to rising stars--to serve on boards and commissions and to work as city employees. He's imploring bright energetic Philadelphia-lovers to take a year or two and work for the city, even if a life of public service isn't for everyone.

Two days after the election, Nutter is showing the kind of leadership that this city needs (and better leadership than Street showed in 8 years). I think this is exactly what we need, and it shouldn't stop after our best and brightest solve this impending crisis (I have confidence). Working for the city should be like the Peace Corps or Teach for America. We should create fellowship opportunities for young people to serve their communities as civil servants for a year or two. Competition for these coveted opportunities should be fierce, and we should make it prestigious enough that the only complaint the program's detractors will have will be that too many amazing people are being turned away for want of more slots on the elite roster of the Philadelphia Fellows. We should cheer these people as heroes.

Or at least that would be my goal if I were starting this. I hope Mayor Nutter has similar designs. I think this is going to work, and we shouldn't stop just because there's no more crisis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"just as people are asked to answer calls of heroism, Michael Nutter is dialing up the best and brightest of our great city, and the CallerID says 'Civic Duty.'"
- this sounds like something that Stephen Colbert would say

I wish I had the same confidence in our mayor =X

~Chase

PiFry said...

Why thank you. I take that as quite the compliment.

Anonymous said...

Each time I read one of your political posts I get more and more excited for turning 25.