Sunday, March 04, 2007

My Purim

So, Happy Purim to the Jews out there. And to the rest of you...hamantaschen are WAY better than Christmas cookies.

This Purim was especially hilarious for me, as not only did one Rabbi cross dress while the other played the villain Haman by wearing nothing but jeans and a Terrell Owens jersey for a costume, but the megillah reading was a warm-up act for the real comedy: Lewis Black, who did mostly new material and seemed surprisingly pleased to be playing a synagogue for the first time in his career. I was especially happy with the Jew-specific humor. I was expecting him to say a few words about being there, but to do synagogue and Purim jokes? That was special. I also enjoyed his ability to be a little more frank than usual when mocking other religions (and using the first person plural, as he himself was "born and raised Jewish"). My favorite was his usual bit about how Christmas is totally out of control and people start shopping when the season begins around July 5th. But then he went the Jewish route and said "And we look at these stupid assholes trying to get all their shopping done BEFORE Christmas, and all we can say is 'You guys realize this shit is all 40% off the day after Christmas, right?' If you're smart you'll just put a box under the tree with a note in it that says you'll get a toaster in a month."

Kudos to DeluxX for getting us prime seats front and center 6 rows back.

Also, raspberry hamantaschen with chocolate chips are officially the best holiday cookie in any religion. Between Princess Lolly and my mother, I think I've gained 5 pounds on them this week.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

Wow, that's awesome! Where was Lewis Black performing? Mmmmm, hamantaschen... I think I'll go get some as a reward for finishing my first-ever "market watch" assignment. Check out my blog.

Hope all is well,
Liz