Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Facebook Ad

One thing I've always been mildly impressed by is Facebook's ability to target advertising. They use the profile pretty well. Single people gets ads for dating services; I get ads for Futurama t-shirts; fans gets advertisements for tickets and merchandise relating to local sports teams...I always thought it was a pretty good way to do targeted marketing. Sure, every now and then I get a "Christian Dating" link, but I am single and have plenty of Christian friends, so while it's not a great guess, it's no worse than random link posting.

Today, however, I got something that really threw me through a loop...I get that facebook thinks I might be into the 76ers or want an online MBA...but this one made me wonder what kind of guy Facebook thinks I am:
Aside from being mildly worried (what if Facebook knows me better than I know myself? I should get tested...), I found this amusing in light of my earlier blogging about how specialized online dating networks are growing and wondering what the trade-off is between potential network size (incredibly valuable) and specific, distinguishing appeal. That said, given the data, HWerks.com has a much bigger target market than crewdating.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On a related note: I can usually figure out why gmail is targeting me with the particular ads it is, but I have no idea why this one is showing up atop my inbox:
"Rhett's Nylon Whips - www.cowwhips.com - Bullwhips, Stockwhips, Cow Whips Top quality whips priced right!"