Wednesday, July 01, 2009

My Census Question

OK, so the Census is coming up next year. Hypothetical situation: I think my state is great. By and large, I love the Congressmen it elects, and I love the presidential candidates for whom it casts its electoral votes. Furthermore, I think when federal money comes its way, it spends it more responsibly in ways that create more jobs and help more people than most other states.

In this situation, I have one heck of an incentive to lie when the Census people come a-knocking or a-calling or a-mailing or, G-d forbid, a-Tweeting or a-Facebook poking, or however they do it these days. Because if I say I live with my roommate, his girlfriend, both of my girlfriends, and a family of 14 recently arrived (but perfectly legal!) immigrants, I'm doing my part to help my state, and through its superior voting and fiscal responsibility, the country. After all, Congressional representation and allotted electoral votes are directly related to the population of a state as calculated by the decannual (if that's not a word it is now) US Census. Furthermore, federal funding that gets divided up among states will sometimes be at least in part allocated according to relative population figures.

So if I want to have increased influence in steering my country in the right direction (not to mention preventing more Department of Education funds from finding their way to Kansas high schools where they'll be used to purchase periodic tables beginning with Jesus, Oxygen, and Abstinence and biology and history textbooks which both begin exactly 6,000 years ago), shouldn't I do my patriotic duty and generously round up the number of free persons residing in my domicile?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo... tell me I'm one of the two.

-Victoria