Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Fourth New Years

Rosh HaShannah. January 1st. Chinese New Years. And now, Sports New Year's Day.

Barkeep is proposing that Valentine's Day serve a double purpose: a renewal of the Sporting Year. Superbowl's over, baseball spring training is about to start, hockey, basketball, and college basketball games haven't mattered yet, but are about to start to as everyone has a shot at the playoffs or the March Madness tournament. The major golf tournaments are coming up (the long awaited return of Tiger this year), and with everything going on, it may be a good time to reflect on our rabid allegiances and reflect on the sports year recently ended as we look forward to the next baseball season. This new holiday falls neatly in the off-season of both American national pastimes (baseball and football), and nothing else major is going on...yet. We stand on the brink, but we can take a day to renew our commitments, update our expectations, make a few resolutions, and mock each other.

And as I look back on the past sporting year, I only have one thing to say:
WORLD CHAMPIONS.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I sort of saw Super Bowl Sunday as the Christmas of Sporting Events, what with the advertising and decorating and whatnot. It makes sense that the New Year would start soon afterwards.

I still say my birthday on the 18th is the universe's was of apologizing to me for Valentine's Day. I am totally fine with reassigning that day. If I see one more diamond ad, I don't think I'll be able to repress the groans.