Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Cry for Computer Help

Sorry to use this generally scintillating blog for mundane personal reasons, but I'm using every avenue I can think of. My computer broke (I'm on my laptop). I left for work; it was fine. I come back to a blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Every time I restart, I get that message on a blue screen with a 0x0000007E error (and some other text). I'm currently backing up my files through safe mode, but I'd really like to get my desktop working again without having to reformat the drive and start from scratch.

If you think you might be able to help, please contact me. Whoever fixes this gets some big prize (I haven't decided what yet; the winner can have some input).

[Editor's Addendum: An update and more details on the problem are in the comments, in response to a reader's suggestion, which didn't help but for which I thank him or her.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am assuming that you are running XP and that you have seen this and also tried to use a system restore point. If you have Norton GoBack (and, if you don't, I highly recommend it), you probably should use that. This kind of error can happen with new hardware -- did you install any recently? Also, depending on which discs you have at your disposal, you might be able to use either a system CD (came with your PC) or a Windows CD to repair the operating system without wiping the hard drive (just in case, make sure that you back up everything crucial first).

I hope this helps!

-A

PiFry said...

I am running XP; I did see that article (which didn't help); my system restore points didn't do anything; I had something similar to Norton GoBack (which is unusable); I used by Operating System disc to repair, which didn't work; and I even reinstalled Windows, losing almost all my data in the process, and it STILL didn't work. (I was about an eighth of the way through backing up my data when safe mode stopped working as well). Now that I've reinstalled Windows entirely, I can enter safe mode again, but am STILL having the blue screen problem when I try to do anything outside of safe mode.

PiFry said...

Thank you, though, for trying, anonymous stranger.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, pifry. Based on what you've said, you might have a hardware problem. Did you install any new hardware before this happened? Did you check the integrity of your harddrive? Was it exposed to any heat or cold?

I'm assuming that you considered these. I'm sorry I didn't get word to you about this sooner, but you could have used Knoppix (portable linux distro) to get your data back. Try using that to see if you can do a full boot with it. It might also help you do diagnostics on your system. Go here to grab a copy, burn it onto a disc, and use that for booting your machine. If it still doesn't boot, it's your hardware.

If using linux to diagnose is something you've already done, I'm out of answers. Good luck!

-A