Monday, May 26, 2008

If I get a new desktop computer, would my readers have any recommendations? I've been going with Dell for most of my life (since the choice has been mine), but in light of this perplexing failure that has affected both hardware and software, despite a fully reformatted hard drive, I'm open to suggestions.

I realize that one hardware problem is hardly indicative of a need to switch brands, especially since this is the 9th or 10th Dell computer I and my family have owned (and I ask a LOT of my machines). But still, I'm willing to consider other options if people have recommendations. That said, Dell's tremendous track record, excluding this failure which I'm only 90% convinced is a problem with the device itself, makes the company a front-runner.

Also, what do people think of Vista now that it's been put through its paces a bit and patches have been released? DeluxX seems to be having quite a good experience with his.

This is NOT an invitation to try to get me to switch to a Mac. I need my Excel, and Excel for Macs sucks (the new Excel doesn't even have VBA compatibility!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still don't recommend Vista. It is still too buggy.

I think that Lenovo's are great machines, but when I needed to deal with the company, it was a headache and a half.

Dell is alright, though. I would say that if you and your family are all happy with a Dell, get one.

-A

Anonymous said...

I have had a HP laptop and now I have a HP desktop and I've been very happy with both machines. When I've needed it (which hasn't been too often) hp support was pretty good to me. Vista is a bit buggy, but not to the extent that I would warn against it. I happen to like it a good deal.

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of experience dealing with warranties and Dell definitely has the best coverage out of the PCs. If you complain enough you get what you want. I can't say the same for any other major manufacturers.

If I were going to buy one, I would go with an HP, but that's because they have more user friendly casings and digital lifestyle stuff. Chuck is an HP user too.

Why wouldn't you just build your own? You would get the most bang for your buck that way.

-qf

PiFry said...

Short answer: because I'd probably screw it up if I tried to build my own.