Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Confession

Well, the hit counters are up and running on the side bar (unique hit counter tracks separate IPs I think, the other one just tracks total page loads). It's nice to see that I'm averaging over a half dozen hits per day (not counting my own pathetic checks to see if anyone posted a comment...). Unfortunately, that means it's confession time: the demand for my hilarious observations has now exceeded the supply. I'm not sure how to keep the readers happy. I just can't be hilarious all the time.

So I'm going to conduct a survey (and hopefully people will leave responses in the comments--you don't have to log in or do anything to be able to post!). If I can't think of something particularly hilarious or witty, what should I post? Vote for all that apply. Some suggestions [examples follow in brackets]:

•Quotes, particularly of a funny nature
[DeluxX, commenting on the pictures of Cynara and me: "Aw, you look so happy! And she looks so...why am I dating this guy? I mean, she's smiling, but you can tell it's fake. She's really thinking [puts finger-gun to head and makes three explosion noises]]

•Non-funny posts (observations, editorial rants, opinions, advocacy, shameless plugs)
[Hats off to you, boys of Boise State University. It remains in recent memory the time when your football team was not even Division I-A, and since joining the WAC you've accomplished the kind of escalation few teams in recent collegiate athletic history have been able to do. Enacting a real life underdog story on par with the actual Rudy and the fictitious Mighty Ducks, you went undefeated this entire football season, which culminated with a bowl game win against an established program from a Big 6 conference. With a team of high school recruits overlooked by every major program in the country, playing on laughably bright blue football astroturf, Boise State performed successive miracles all season, and in their bowl game, transforming moxy, heart and trick plays into a win for the ages. The only things missing were the Flying V and the star running back proposing to his cheerleader girlfriend minutes after making a gutsy game-winning play...oh wait, the latter happened.]

•Serious musings
[I believe at the heart of the Net Neutrality debate, there is one main underlying issue no one is considering: high transaction costs. To allow highly customizable internet service, and services betweeen companies like Internet Service Providers, backbone providers and media companies, would create a need for a staggering number of individual contracts and negotiations and highly variable cash flows and services from every participant in the market, including customers. To allow such a system to be implemented--especially one whose costs are not just in the startup phase but are a continuing economic friction on activity--one would need to see obvious and huge benefits of such a system. Since the debate is a close one in the absence of these consideration, the whole notion should be dismissed, and the kind of system that's been working should be legislated as mandatory. Discussion should be reopened if and only if someone can demonstrate significant societal benefits--in terms of aggregate wealth or a far more equitable distribution of wealth with little or no loss--of a more complicated system where Internet providers have variable control over content. Interestingly enough, after stating this position the first time, I was told I'm the very definition of conservative...despite the fact that my position totally looks out for the little guy and consumers and not big business. Interesting that I can be a conservative and a "good guy"...I wonder why Republicans on the hill haven't caught on yet.]

•Poetry
[I really can't
stand

the stupid poem
about

the red wheelbarrow
that

looks just like
this.]

•Updates on my life (think more traditional blog...I don't expect anyone to vote for this one)
[I'm returning to campus on Thursday. The Eagles are playing the Giants at 4:30, which will be awesome--party at my place. Not so much party as warzone perhaps...Giants fans can cry with my roommate Chuck while Eagles fans celebrate with me. Actually, Giants fans, just don't come. Save yourself three hours of pain and watch Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Apollo 13, or the first half of Titannic instead.]

•Links to interesting websites
[www.addictinggames.com/hyperframe.html
I've been playing this logic game a LOT. It's very fun, addictive, and a great challenge for the brain. And it's easy enough that everyone can beat some levels, and hard enough that the Master levels will make almost anyone scratch their heads. Play on "Mind" not "Speed." I've figured out all 40 levels, so if it's driving you crazy and you want help or a hint, feel free to ask.]

•Write-In
[No example available; your idea here!]

•If you don't have something funny to say, don't say anything at all
[ ]

So please, vote! For as many as you like.
Quotes
Non-Funny Posts
Serious Musings
Poetry
Life Updates
Links
Write-In
If you don't have something funny to post, don't post anything at all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I maintain that it is your blog and you can post whatever you want. Personally, though, I tend to enjoy quotes, humorous anecdotes, and honest, intelligent commentary/rants (which you have in great supply).
This poll does beg the question, for whom does a "blog" exist? You seem to think that it exists for your audience. But they started as online journals and news bulletins. There's no obligation to keep an historically accurate weblog, as such, leading me to the conclusion that it is to be used however the "blogger" sees fit. If you're keeping this for the sake of the audience, I'll get you some painkillers to deal with the ensuing headaches.
Beware of the Leopard.