Saturday, June 14, 2008

My PA Smoking Ban

Yesterday, my favorite governor signed into law a smoking ban for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It goes into effect 90 days after the signing date. I'm extremely excited about this, especially since my family still lives outside of the reach of the Philly ban, and since my job might require me to go to Harrisburg periodically for an upcoming project. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I'm trying not to read too much into how unlucky the dates are: signed on Friday the 13th and in effect on September 11th. Also, it seems a little wrong to be counting down to September 11th to begin a celebration. But it's a Thursday, so that weekend I might go to some of those places in the Philly suburbs I've wished I could go but couldn't. For starters, Macaroni Grill. I know it's probably just another disappointing chain restaurant, but people seem to like it. And every time friends or family have invited me to go to one with them, I've either had to pass or leave early because of the nearby smoking sections.

Which brings me back to one of my favorite analogies: Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing area in a swimming pool. Well, no more peeing in my pool! And if you're going to be in the Philly 'burbs on the weekend of September 13th, let me know.

On an entirely unrelated note, a heartfelt Happy Birthday shoutout to Rick Blaine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harrisburg...HAH! I don't see any Ph.Ds having to go to Harrisburg!

Ok that's probably a lie. But seriously.